Edge of Seventeen

Day Seventeen!  Yes, I have been juice fasting for 17 days now and I can officially say I am going strong.  I feel great, I'm not as hungry, and my energy is cracking along.  I've experienced a decent amount of weight loss, which I have to say feels pretty damn good too.

I had a few to lose.

I think I might owe my Hispanic Hero an internal, whispered apology.  God knows I've been positive as hell to his face--I could never be anything else.  He's just that kind of guy.  I don't even swear around him, he's that inspiring.  It occurs to me, I should probably refer to him here by an actual name, although we can't use real names here, because where would the fun be in that? So, let's give our guy a moniker...

What shall it be?  Hmmm.  I'm going to call him Boris.

Yes, Boris.

So, back to my point - I think he might be on to something.  I mean, I am early into the euphoria here, so I'm reserving judgment.  I don't want to get carried away.  I might feel like a coyote chewed me up and shit me over a cliff tomorrow.  Who knows.  But I have to say that for today, I feel fucking fabulous. 

Of course, maybe I'm not hungry because my job served me up a nice big shit sandwich today. That was filling.  I think I've mentioned that I do customer service.  In my world, that means I get to listen to people bitch all day long.  I am literally the complaint department.

And complain they do.

I usually have a pretty good sense of humor about it.  A dark sense of humor, but it's robust and serves me well.  I also use props, like candy cigarettes and a big ass green glass ashtray (circa 1970's) to 'butt' them in while I patiently listen to people catalog their grievances.  And most of the time this is just fine.  It really is.

And then sometimes it's not.

Because sometimes I can't help but think that even though you may have a complaint, or a concern, or a question, that doesn't mean you have to be an asshat about delivering it.  I personally do not file complaints.  But I do not begrudge those who do--in fact, I can even admire it.  But what I cannot admire is the misconception that being rude, escalated, or condescending will somehow help get them what they want or help them be understood more emphatically.  That is simply not true.  I think we need more civil discourse in our society.  A simple phone call stating the facts with a request if there is one would suffice.  We will either give someone what they want or we will not.  That can be civil too.

Gosh, it's all so clear now.  I think my juice is making me more loving and peaceful.  It's probably all the fennel.

I think this is exactly what Boris had in mind.

I'm going for 20.


Popular Posts